Long D. Nguyen, Ph.D., P.E.
"All men [people] by nature desire to know." - Aristotle
Office : Holmes Hall 309
Phone: (239) 590-1488
Fax : (239) 590-7304
Email : lnguyen "at" fgcu "dot" edu
Dr. Long Nguyen is an associate professor in the Department of Environmental and Civil Engineering at Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU). Before joining FGCU, he worked as a construction consultant at Jax Kneppers Associates, Inc. in Walnut Creek, CA, the deputy director of Tuan Le Construction, and a lecturer at Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology (HCMUT). He is a professional engineer registered in California. He earned M.S. and Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley, M.Eng. in Construction Engineering and Management from the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), and B.Eng. in Civil Engineering from HCMUT. He was awarded the Mahesh Varma Prize for the most outstanding academic performance among students in his field of study at AIT. His current teaching and research interests include project planning and controls, quantitative methods in construction, and resilient and sustainable built environment. He is an assistant specialty editor of the Journal of Construction Engineering and Management (ASCE) and an Editorial Board member of the International Journal of Project Management (Elsevier).
· Licensed Professional Engineer (PE), California. License Number: C 75198
1. Project planning and controls
2. Quantitative methods in construction
3. Resilient and sustainable built environment
1. Project Planning and Regulations (Falls ’11-’20)
2. Surveying and Geomatics (Falls ’11; Springs ’12, ’13)
3. Engineering Entrepreneurship (Falls ’11-’13)
4. Engineering Mechanics (Springs ’12-’20)
5. Construction Methods and Management (Spring ’14; Fall ’19-‘20)
6. Mechanics of Materials (Summers ’14, ’15, ’17, ’20, Spring ’17)
7. Introduction to the Engineering Profession (Fall ’14, ’16-’19, Spring ’19)
8. Computational Tools for Engineers (Spring ’15)
9. Civil Engineering Senior Design (Springs ’15-’17, ’19-’21)
10. Data Science and Engineering Systems Analysis (Spring ’21)
1. Nguyen, L. D. and Tran, D. Q. “Measurement of fuzzy membership functions in construction risk assessment.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, 147(4), 2021.
2. Dang, C. N., Chih, Y.-Y., Le-Hoai, L., Nguyen, L. D. “Project-based A/E/C firms’ knowledge management capability and market development performance: Does firm size matter.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, 146(11), 2020.
3. Villiers, C., Nguyen, L. D., Zalewski, J. “Evaluation of traffic management strategies for special events using probe data.” Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives, 2, December 2019, 100052.
4. Nguyen, L. D., Le-Hoai, L., Tran, D. Q., Dang., C. N., Nguyen, C. V. “Effect of project complexity on cost and schedule performance in transportation projects.” Construction Management and Economics, 37(7), 384-399, 2019.
5. Nguyen, L. D., Le-Hoai, L., Tran, D. Q., Dang., C. N., Nguyen, C. V. “Fuzzy AHP with applications in evaluating construction project complexity.” Fuzzy Hybrid Computing in Construction Engineering and Management: Theory and Applications, edited by Fayek, A. R., Emerald Publishing, 2018.
6. Tran, D. Q., Brihac, A., Nguyen, L. D., Kwak, Y. H. “Project cost implications of competitive guaranteed maximum price contracts.” Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE, 34(2), 2018.
7. Tran, D. Q., Nguyen, L. D., Faught, A. “Examination of communication processes in design-build project delivery in building construction.” Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, 24(6), 1319-1336, 2017.
8. Nguyen, L. D. and Tran, D. Q. “Fuzzy AHP-based decision making framework for construction projects.” Fuzzy Analytic Hierarchy Process, edited by Emrouznejad, A. and Ho, W., CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 2017
9. Nguyen, H. D., Nguyen, L. D., Chih, Y.-Y., and Le-Hoai, L. “Influence of participants’ characteristics on sustainable building practices in emerging economies: An empirical case study.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, 143(8), 2017.
10. Nguyen, L. D., Chih, Y.-Y., Garcia de Soto, B. “Knowledge areas delivered in project management programs: Exploratory study.” Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE, 33(1), 2017.
11. Nguyen, L. D., Tran, D. Q., and Chandrawinata, M. P. “Predicting safety risk of working at heights using Bayesian Networks.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, 142(9), 2016.
· ASCE Outstanding reviewer, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 2020
· ASCE Outstanding reviewer, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 2019
· Ten-Year Outstanding Staff Award, Tuan Le Construction, 2019
· ASCE Outstanding reviewer, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 2018
· ASCE Outstanding reviewer, Journal of Management in Engineering, 2017
· ASCE ExCEEd Fellow, 2012
· Travel grant and distinguished delegate, ASEAN University Network/Southeast Asia Engineering Education Development Network (AUN/SEED-Net), 2010.
· Full scholarship for the Masters program at AIT by Asian Development Bank - Japan Scholarship Program (ADB-JSP) , 2001-2003.
· Third prize at the National Mechanics Olympiad organized by the Ministry of Education and Training and Vietnamese Association of Mechanics, 1997.
Schools I studied and/or worked
Last updated: January 21, 2021